Monday, October 23, 2017

September 23: In Memory of James R. Wheelon Sr.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Every morning of my childhood the door bell rang, the front door shut, and his Toyota pick-up truck started back up as he left our house from dropping off the newspaper. There were so many nights at his house spent watching the news, Jeopardy, and Braves baseball or playing hide-and-seek in the back yard. I can still smell the scent of the kitchen as my brother, sister, and I rummaged for cookies or a popsicle... even when Mom said we couldn't have any and he insisted. I can feel the shakiness of that same pick-up as he took us for a drive to help him at the Christian Ministry or to pick up soda cans off of the side of the street for recycling. I can hear his voice as he yelled "Missy" at high school football games to get my attention to offer me a bag of peanuts that he was selling for the Lions Club.
PawPaw. That's what I call my late grandfather. Some of the words that described him were dedicated, hard-working, resilient, stubborn, caring. Everyone knew him and everyone loved him. He went to be with Jesus today. I'll never forget him.




No comments:

Post a Comment